If you want to know who we are and how we can help you grow your business, you’ve come to the right place!
The Retail Merchants Association is a trade association representing retailers and other businesses in the Central Virginia area. Established August 14, 1907, RMA promotes our business community in Lynchburg and surrounding areas by offering advertising, cost-saving support services, educational opportunities, and sponsorship of cultural activities.
RMA provides legislative representation through our association with the Virginia Retail Merchants Association (VRMA), supporting reasonable and proper laws protecting the interests of member businesses. Special emphasis is directed towards fostering understanding of retailing, free trade, and free enterprise systems in order to provide laws that have a positive impact for business owners. Legislative representation is provided on a local, state and national level.
- To promote the common interests of our member businesses in the greater Lynchburg area;
- To educate consumers on the importance of buying local to ensure the quality, success and vitality of our community; and
- To support reasonable and proper laws protecting the interests of businesses in Virginia. Special emphasis is directed towards fostering understanding of retailing, free trade, and free enterprise in order to provide laws that have a positive impact for business owners.
As a member-based organization, we offer….
- Visibility and Web Presence Website listing of member businesses. Enhancements available at a nominal cost for members without a web presence. Gain exposure by partnering with us!
- Co-Op Advertising - Maximize marketing dollars by partnering with RMA and other businesses.
- Online Education Portal - Opportunity for employees to improve skills with online courses in Pharmacy, Retail Compliance, Customer Service, Food Safety, Leadership, Loss Prevention, Business Skills, OSHA, Computer Skills, Health Care Waste Protection, and Retail Management.
- Legislative Advocacy Member of the VRMA network providing legislative representation impacting business owners.
- Money-Saving Programs and Support Services Improve your bottom line! (see “Services”)
- Buy Local ~ Join Local Campaign – Join forces as we invest in the community to educate consumers on the importance of buying local.
- Networking & Workshops Topics pertinent to business owners and managers.
- Foundation Grants - Supported by Association membership dues, the Foundation provides annual funding for local non-profits agencies. Because the Foundation incurs no expense, 100% of every dollar donated to the Foundation is placed back into the community.
Membership dues paid to the Association cover administrative costs associated with the Retail Merchants Foundation, which provides annual grant funding to area non-profit organizations focusing on health, handicapped, homelessness, rehabilitation and abuse issues. By supporting RMA with your membership you are, in effect, making an impact for our citizens needing assistance.