WDBJ 7 – Operating local newsrooms in Lynchburg, Blacksburg and Richmond.
The station first aired in 1955 in downtown Roanoke. The antenna was located at a temporary spot on Mill Mountain. In 1956, WDBJ-TV moved to the Times-World Building and a transmitter building and tower were erected on Poor Mountain allowing the station to reach a much larger audience throughout central and southwest Virginia.
The television station grew during the late 1950′s and soon plans were drawn for new studio facilities at the corner of Brandon and Colonial Avenues. The television station moved to the state-of-the-art building in the summer of 1961. In 1969 Schurz Communications of South Bend, Indiana purchased WDBJ 7 from the Times-World Corporation. After 41 years of operation on Colonial Avenue, WDBJ-TV moved into a new digital facility.
On June 14, 2000 demolition of the old Best Products Building began, and construction of new digital facility for Your Hometown Station® continued for almost two years. On April 20, 2002 WDBJ Television began broadcasting out of its new home on Hershberger Road. Today, in addition to the Hershberger Road facility and the Poor Mountain transmitter site, WDBJ 7 operates local newsrooms in Lynchburg, Blacksburg and Richmond.
CLICK HERE to visit our website.